You must accomplish the following:
- Approval of your medical exam papers
- Apply for an authorisation from the Danish Patient Authority
- Pass a Danish language test
- Pass a number of medical exams
- Pass a course in Danish health legislation
- Complete an employment for adaption and training purposes.
Read more about what you need to accomplish in order to obtain authorisation to practice as a medical doctor.
Please note that it may take several years to obtain Danish authorisation and permission to work independently as a medical doctor.
Good advice when applying for authorisation
Some applicants experience, that it takes a long time to get papers verified. Here are some tips on how to get through the authorisation process:
Communications with authorities:
- It is important that you stay updated about any changes to the authorisation procedure and that you meet the every and special deadlines. Follow the news and changes.
- Make sure you send the correct documentation.
- Always answer letters and emails from the Danish Patient Authority immediately.
- Always use the same e-mail address.
- Only involve few people to help you with the correspondence and communication with the authorities. The fewer involved the less risk of misunderstandings.
- You can contact your municipality (kommune) in order to find a language school close to where you live. You may want to use this list over language schools.
- At the moment, Speak – School of Danish is the only language school in Denmark offering special courses in Danish language for medical doctors. Read more about Danish courses for medical doctors.
• You can learn Danish online. Read more about how here.